Uplifting your life, even within the same city, can be a complicated process. The best way to avoid becoming overwhelmed is with proper preparation. Check out our list of suggestions below, add these items to your moving checklist, and make your move that much easier!
2 MONTHS BEFORE:
- Sort through belongings: Two months before a move is the best time to find items you want to sell, give to friends, or donate. Sorting through everything this far in advance gives you the opportunity to organize a garage or yard sale. Extra money is always helpful for a move.
- Keep an eye out for free packing supplies: It’s helpful to look out for ways to save money during a move as well. It’s great to give yourself ample time to look out for free or cheap packing materials to avoid buying it all new. For example, certain stores are willing to give away used boxes that are usually tossed. A friend or colleague could be giving away old towels or sheets that could be used as packing material. It’s time to start asking around for the items you know you will need.
1 MONTH cheap viagra 100mg BEFORE:
- Begin Packing: You will want to start with items you use the least, like seasonal items, books, DVDs, Crafts, games, and so on. Starting now will help eliminate unnecessary stress near move-in day.
- Stay Organized: As you begin packing, it’s important to keep inventory of the items you have. Create a labeling system, a list of items, and color code rooms/boxes to help make unpacking as easy as possible.
- Start changing your address: It’s easy to forget that your address is tied to many things in your life: banking, memberships, and promotions. Go through your important accounts and begin updating to your new address. This is also the time to go to the post office and begin forwarding your mail.
2 WEEKS BEFORE:
- Plan to take off for your move: If you have a traditional job or a job that requires a strict schedule, it’s important to make sure moving will not interfere with moving. Sometimes it will be necessary to take a day off and now is the time to prepare for it.
- Plan any child/pet care arrangements: As much as we love our kids and pets, having them around for moving day can often just make things more stressful. Plan ahead to have a sitter or use a daycare service on move-in day to take one less thing off of your plate.
- Start Cleaning: As rooms begin to be fully packed, it’s about time you start the deep clean of the old place. Don’t forget to go over everything in detail. Often items are forgotten in a move because we become used to seeing it. Try looking through your place closely from top-to-bottom, opening every door, cabinet, and drawer.
A FEW DAYS BEFORE YOUR BIG MOVE:
- Defrost your fridge: Whether you are moving your fridge with you or leaving it behind, you will most likely be responsible for any mess it may make. Plan ahead so food doesn’t spoil and you are not left to clean any avoidable messes on the big day.
- Day of box: As you begin packing the items you use more often, it’s important to keep of the items you use daily. Items like toiletries, basic bedding, a couple days worth of clothing, chargers, and prescriptions should be set aside and packed last for easiest use after moving.
- Cancel/transfer utilities: Do not forget to transfer your utilities enough in advance. A/C, especially, will be a much appreciated commodity during a summer move.
- Final walk through: On your last trip to your old place, take one last thorough walkthrough. Make sure obscure items are not left behind, items are turned off (like water and AC), and doors/windows are locked.
- Download the Buddytruk App: If you use the Buddytruk app, you can get moving help on demand. You won’t have any reason to deal with expensive moving trucks or plan ahead for a friend to help. The only thing you will need to do is download the app and setup your account. Whenever you are ready, a buddy will come and help you load, transport, and unload your items. It’s as simple as that.
Click here to download Buddytruk for iOS and here for Buddytruk for Android. Have more questions about using Buddytruk? Check out our FAQs. In the mean time, happy moving!